About Bits & Watts
Bits & Watts is a major new Stanford University initiative focused on innovations for the 21st century electric grid—a new grid paradigm that is needed to incorporate large amounts of clean power and a growing number of distributed energy resources, while simultaneously enabling grid reliability, resilience, security and affordability.
The Bits & Watts Initiative seeks to:
- Offer and implement new research ideas and de-risk them for the electricity ecosystem
- Educate faculty, students, post-doctoral fellows and staff about the holistic systems-focused approach to solving problems for the electricity ecosystem
- Offer holistic on-site and online educational experiences for current industry executives and other leaders
- Create open-source hardware and software solutions rapidly adopted by industry and policymakers
- Maintain flexibility amid uncertainty to exploit emerging technologies
- Be a trusted and unbiased convener
- Create platforms and protocols for sharing data with due consideration of privacy, security and confidentiality
Stanford has a balance of excellent faculty, students, post-doctoral fellows and staff across engineering, business, economics, social sciences and law. We also have a culture of cross-campus collaboration, entrepreneurial spirit, and deep engagement with the industry and our ecosystem. Bits & Watts Leadership is committed to bring resources together to create strategic value for our members in these times of significant change. We hope you will join us.